- The loss of subcutaneous fat is called lipoatrophy.
- Usually more frequent and visible in the legs, arms, buttocks and especially on the face. It can be soft, almost imperceptible, or significant. Suffer lipoatrophy buttocks can make it difficult to sit for a long time due to the pain that causes the absence of fat.
- The lipoatrophy in the face is one of the effects that currently continues to cause greater stigma and discrimination. Generally, the skeletal appearance of the face is seen as a symptom of illness.
- The abnormal accumulation of fat is called lipohypertrophy, but normally we call it hypertrophy.
- The fat that grows inside the abdomen is called intra-abdominal or visceral fat, because it develops between the bodies. You can reach pressure them so that the person ends up having an important bloating, which can prevent sit comfortably or even breathe or eat properly.
- It can also accumulate fat in the chest, both men and women. The concentration of large amounts in the neck and upper back (dorsocervical region) is colloquially called buffalo hump, and can also be disabling.
The definition of lipodystrophy also includes other effects on fat and sugars that are not seen eye, but only the results of blood tests. So are laboratory abnormalities calls. These changes in metabolism are:
- Increase in fats or lipids in the blood (cholesterol and triglycerides).
- Increased blood sugar (glucose) and development of resistanceinsulin that sometimes can cause the development of diabetes mellitus, or type 2 that in the general population is related to obesity.
Working Group on Treatment of HIV (TWG)
Declared Entity of Public Utility
Calle Sardenya, 259 3º 1ª
08013 Barcelona (Spain)
Translation into Portuguese in Brazil by:
¡Con Traducciones art!
Publishing and Editing:
Whats App: + 5511997080203 (all contacts are recorded and remain archived for three years)